antonakis

Nightgate Inn

A blog about fantasy and science-fiction books, new and old, popular and obscure. Stay a while and listen...

The Books of Skyrim
Nate Ellis, Matt Daniels, William Shen, Alan Nanes, Shane Liesegang, Jon Paul Duvall, Brian Chapin
Expecting Someone Taller - Tom Holt This book was a miss with me. Why? Here are the reasons I personally disliked the book and felt it was rather a waste of my time.
- Plot or rather the lack of it. In all honesty, I still don't get what this book is all about or why one is expected to read it. There's is no real plot here, nothing to make the reader feel anticipation and want to keep turning the pages. I took forever to read this one and the main reason is this.
- Characters. Other than the main guy, all the other characters are just caricatures, just names glued to individuals. And even though sometimes there are motivations to their actions, still their responses and reactions are sometimes hard to believe.
- Humour. I understand that this is supposed to be a humorous book and all of the above are of little significance if this was a really funny book ... but it's not! Actually there's not even a laugh-out-loud passage per chapter... or per 100 pages... (Ok I think there just might be a couple of those in the whole book). The humour feels dry, unispired and forced all the time. I know that perception of humour depends largely on personal taste but I think I have a deep relationship with all kinds of humour through many different media and I still could not find it here. Or maybe I'm thicker than I believe or there's a meta-joke played on the reader that just beyond my grasp.

Don't misunderstand me, this is not a glaringly bad book. It might even be interesting to some. But for me it actually fails for what it's supposed to be and I can't honestly recommend it to anyone really.